Thursday, January 04, 2007

Stars

Do you feel like a star? Probably not. The term conjurs up visions of Holywood, celebs, and all the glamour and glitz that comes with fame and "star-dom". You're missing something though. Perhaps its because very rarely do we "stand and stare" to realise this profound truth:

We are made from material that formed as a star cooled.

You are, I am, the earth and all that's in it.

Next time you are out and about at night time, or perhaps just as you are about to lock up for bedtime, go outside on a clear night (wrap up warm too!), and look up at the stars. Take your time. The longer you stare, the more become visible. See how vast, how many, how endless they are. They seem to be fixed in place, never changing, but they are slowly being born, shining and dying.

Everything is changing, all of the time.

As a new year begins, I am aware of how the people around me are ageing. How the young become their own people and begin to exert influence, how the very old slowly release all control they have on the world (and their waterworks!).

I find it encouraging to think that we are all part of a universal "re-cycling" process. Perhaps its just my way of justifying the increase in landfill my family and I made over the Christmas holidays this year....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home