Friday, February 16, 2007

What's the best thing about your faith?

I was challenged by a post on a recent blog I read that asked, "What is the best thing about your faith?"

Here's my answer:

My experience of faith in Christ has been a rollercoaster ride. There are times when it all makes sense, clicks, fits and seems the perfect solution to all of life's problems. Then there are the other times... The times when those near and dear to me suffer. Dark days, when all around is crushing and pushing me, and worry is almost constantly on my mind.

In these times, I still pray - maybe more so - and mostly, I don't hear anything.

It's in these times that I truly doubt the very existence of God himself.

Thankfully he knows this response and, little by little, his love and grace break through my darkness. As green shoots of all kinds of plants sprout up from concrete pavements, God's love, life, grace, care and provision find me again. In fact, it's quite possible that they never leave me.

As one psalmist says, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you are with me".

What's the best thing about your faith? Post a comment...

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne Witton said...

It's hard to think of a 'best thing' about my faith. For a start, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be alive now if I hadn't met Jesus. He has, in every sense of the phrase, saved me from death. The fact that the gospel is true and that the Christian life is REAL life is surely one of the best things. To be unconditionally loved when I know I don't deserve it; to know the power of forgiveness; to know that I have the hope of heaven to look forward to - all these things spur me on and ease the often intense pain of living in a fallen world. As I once said to my friend - I would rather live in a ditch and clean people's cars with my tongue for a living than live without God!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home